top of page
domestic violence.jpg

Domestic Abuse Lawyers in London

We have specialist solicitors to support you through the most difficult stage in your life.

Our family solicitors have extensive expertise in working in complex and sensitive cases with care and empathy. Our personalised service will support and uphold your interest in each step of the process.

Our family solicitors are members of the Resolution.  They are committed to working in a constructive and effective manner. They will put your interest first and ensure that the most cost effective and long term solution is considered in your matter at every stage.

Domestic Abuse

If you are suffering from domestic violence in your relationship, we can help you through this difficult time. Our team of family specialists are acutely aware of the problems and the effects that domestic violence has on your life and on any children.

If a mutually agreed settlement can be reached we can then draft a Consent Order which details the agreement made. Both you and the other party sign the document and it is sent to the court where it is endorsed, making it a legally binding agreement.

The courts can move very fast in this area and orders can be effective in the form of injunctions. An injunction is a court order that requires your abuser to do or not to so something. There are two main types of injunctions available in domestic violence cases:

  • A non-molestation order

  • An occupation order

Non-molestation Orders

The purpose of a non-molestation order is to stop your abuser from using or threatening violence, intimidating, harassing or pestering you.

A non-molestation order can:

  • forbid your abuser from being violent or threatening violence;

  • forbid your abuser from harassing, pestering and/or intimidating you;

  • forbid your abuser from coming within a certain distance of your home; and/or

  • forbid your abuser from damaging or disposing of your belongings.

When deciding whether to grant a non-molestation order, the court will consider all of your circumstances, including the needs to secure the health, safety and well-being of you and any children.

Occupation Orders

An occupation order generally regulates the occupation of your home.

An occupation order can:

  • order an abuser to move out of the your home or to stay away from your home;

  • order your abuser to keep a certain distance away from the home;

  • order your abuser to stay in certain parts of the home at certain times;

  • order your abuser to allow you back into your home, if you have been locked out; and /or

  • order for your abuser to continue to pay the mortgage, rent or bills.

When deciding whether to grant an occupation order, the court will consider a number of factors, including the housing needs and resources of you, any children and your abuser; the financial resources of you both; the likely effect of any order, or not making an order, will have on you, any children and your abuser; and you and your abuser’s behaviour to one another. The court may also look at the harm that you and any children may suffer if the order is not granted and the harm that the abuser and any children may suffer if the order is granted.

bottom of page